archive — ᨳଓ .

Sunday, October 4, 2026

The gen-z typology community does not use typology for it's actual purpose.

 Okay, I'm not saying everyone who claims to is lying, but honestly I don't even see many people claim this so that doesn't matter. And this is not critique, that would be obscenely hypocritical as one of the people I am talking about here is myself. I just thought it a little funny and I felt like writing about it.

The main intention behind typology is to gain a new lens with which to peer inside ourselves, analysing our behaviour and that of others to explain the possibly harmful influences that may cause our social habits. With that knowledge, we can be more self-aware, improve our interpersonal relationships and change how we think to become healthier mentally.

I mean, if you're stable and employed, i guess.


When I first got into typology, I didn't even question why people made it. I just like labels and boxes and other such forms of identification. For example, back in the day when I was a devout potterhead, I was very attached to the fact I was a ravenclaw (rightfully so, I still believe it is the coolest house). On top of that, I really enjoy silly personality tests. UQuiz and Quotev are dear to my heart, and I was a fairly frequent participant of Buzzfeed quizzes when they were still relevant. I don't have a very clear view of who I am, so something to tell me that flat out is a godsend. Then came the angelic light that was a tiktok slideshow that told me there's a pseudoscience can do all these things and make me question everything i've ever thought about myself! Oh joyous day!

Based on what I see, especially among typotok and newer enthusiasts, I think most of us are of similar nature. I am not bothered with improving myself in the way typology helps you to, it's a lot less effort to stay like this. And Matrix's designs definitely have something to do with uptake too, so much so that some want to create an 'enneahuman' fandom that stands separately from typology. I wonder how those chibis got so out of hand?

I say gen-z because across less 'fresh' platforms like YouTube, typology content is produced by 35 year old therapists who provide self-help courses and enneagram-based E-counselling videos. The vibe from this sort of person is very different to your average nerdy teen, you know? They usually engage in lifestyle content and are very intentional with the what they consume. The other side mistype as triple reactive and kin some mentally unwell anime character that they can project onto /j.

In my opinion, studying typology does not need a reason, because it is fun. I have enough enjoyment out of reading about my 3V placement that it can stand as a reason by itself. Although, technically speaking, it's not the best idea to figure out every unhealthy social and psychological habit you have and decide to not do anything about it. Yes, I did quite literally say that's what i'm doing, but i am not perfect.

Also, the 16Personalities test exists. If you have been on tiktok, interacted with typology or listened to k-pop in the last 5 years you should know what im talking about. I was very distressed to find out the test had lied to me, so i went to seek the truth. That entails learning cognitive functions. In truth, It's my least favourite system i've learnt so far (i know it's easy, but the descriptions can get very long-winded an confusing at times T-T). Well, second actually, i'm in the trenches of learning socionics.  The answer i reached was that i am in the lucky percentage who were not lied to, as i am pretty much the blueprint of my MBTI's stereotype.

In summary, people like typology for its labels and get into it through specific, but recognisable, pipelines. And to that i say:

Fair enough, me too!



No comments:

Post a Comment